Zucchini Matcha Madeleines (French Style Cookies)
Curious?? I bet. You’re probably wondering if adding fresh veggie in your dessert will work and taste delish?? The answer is simple….it’s a big Y-E-S! It also took me by surprise. Thank God for zucchini’s mild flavor, you can barely feel its presence even though it’s there, giving you lots of good stuff like vitamins and minerals. Highly recommended for picky eaters!
As if zucchini is not nutritious enough, matcha is here to say hello to madeleines! I love adding matcha, not only it gives that vibrant green appearance that I’m looking for, it also makes this recipe the real antioxidant powerhouse of desserts.
Traditional madeleines are buttery and spongy in texture. I remember the first time I tried this, I honestly thought nothing of it until I dipped it in my favorite sencha green tea. I must say it was the most pleasurable cookie bite ever. This is probably even better with a cup of coffee. Sssh, you didn’t hear it from me.
Zucchini Matcha Madeleines (French Style Cookies Recipe)
- 1 med zucchini
- 3 med eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest powder if available, use real lemon zest
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanillla
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter for mold
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Grab zucchini and peel off skin.
- Using a fine cheese grater, grate zuchhini in a fast motion. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, crack eggs. Beat well.
- Add sugar. Mix.
- Add lemon zest powder. Mix.
- Add grated zucchini. Mix.
- Add olive oil. Mix.
- Add honey. Mix.
- Combine flour and baking powder. Add in wet ingredients gradually.
- Add matcha powder. Mix.
- Add pinch of salt.
- Brush madeleine mold with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with plain flour.
- Transfer batter in a piping bag or pyrex.
- Carefully fill mold with batter leaving some room on top. Do not overfill.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Lower temperature down to 300°F/150°C and bake for another 7 minutes.
- Remove baked cookies from the oven.
- Bring oven temperature back to 350°F/175°C before baking the next batch.
- Remove zucchini's skin for mild flavor but you can leave it on if you like.
- For smooth zucchini consistency, grate using a fine cheese grater and in fast motion.
- If available, use real lemon zest. I'll let you be the judge for the exact amount.
- Every oven is different, please adjust temperature, the edge of these cookies should be golden brown and crispy.
- Enjoy these fresh from the oven.
- You can put these in a ziplock bag but the moist will prevent you from having a crispy edge.
- I recommend toasting for a few a minutes if it becomes a little too moist for your taste.
WATCH Zucchini Matcha Madeleines Step-By-Step Video Tutorial:
My name is Dhin. I'm delighted that you are here to join me in cooking delicious food and baking adorable pastries. Working in the kitchen became my therapy when the pandemic struck all of us. Join me on my journey, one bite at a time.