Turmeric Cheese Almond Flour Crackers
Are you craving for the all time favorite snack “cheez it” crackers but with a twist?
I have a solution for that! I present to you my delicious and very satisfying crackers that are made of simple ingredients: almond flour, turmeric, cheddar cheese, and salt. I’m so addicted to these crackers that I can eat as many as I want without that “Oh, no why did I eat that?” guilt lingering in my head.
Almond Flour vs Almond Meal
For this recipe, I used almond flour that was grinded in a blender to achieve a super fine texture. If your almond flour doesn’t say super fine, I recommend you use this technique. So, what’s the difference between almond flour and almond meal? It’s the almond skin. It is very subtle but the flour one is made of skinless blanched almonds. The color is pure white with no brown specks. So, the meal, and you guessed it, it’s the one grinded with almond skins. The texture is coarse and have brown specks.
Turmeric vs Curcuma
At first, I was super confused about these two. But, the more I do my research, the more I’m convinced that these terms can be and are used interchangeably. However, if you want the specifics, here you go: let me begin with curcuma or curcumin, which is the real star of the show. Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric, which is a popular spice in Indian cuisine. This is how my brain remembers the difference, Curcuma = active ingredient while Turmeric = spice. But, they look so similar to me that I much rather pay attention to its health benefits. Oh, by the way, both have excellent health benefits. They are antioxidant powerhouse.
Most recipes call for a food processor and microwave. If you’re like me that don’t have both, time to celebrate because it’s possible to make it without them. Follow my recipe and you’ll have these addicting crackers in no time or for pure entertainment, watch my youtube video link in below.
Turmeric Cheese Almond Flour Crackers
- 1/2 cup almond flour super fine
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese crumbled or shredded
- 1/4 tsp turmeric/curcuma
- a pinch of salt
- Using a blender, grind almond flour for super fine texture.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F / 175 °C.
- Prepare a double boiler using a large bowl and a small saucepan filled with water. Let water reach boiling point.
- Combine almond flour and turmeric.
- On a pan, warm the almond flour in low heat for about 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to toast the flour. Set aside.
- Melt cheese in a double boiler. Remove when smooth in texture almost like a paste.
- Add slightly warm almond flour mix.
- Mix well with a spoon.
- Transfer into parchment paper.
- Shape the dough in a big square.
- Put another parchment paper on top and roll it out using a rolling pin.
- Roll dough with your preferred thickness/thinness in mind.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut dough in small squares.
- Using the tip of a chopstick, poke squares 4-5 times depending on the size of the cracker.
- Gently separate crackers with holes apart.
- Bake for 5 minutes then flip crackers and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Let it cool down.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Always pre-heat oven when baking.
- Use a superfine almond flour for smooth cracker texture. If your flour doesn't say superfine, grind it in a blender for 2-3 minutes or until fine in texture.
- Make sure when combining cheese and almond flour that they are almost the same temperature that they blend easily together.
- Be patient when melting cheese. You're looking for a paste consistency. No lumps.
- Use tip of chopstick for poking holes.
- For crispier bites, don't forget to cool down crackers.
- Finally, if you're a visual person like me, watch the step-by-step video tutorial on youtube.
WATCH The Butter mochi Step-By-Step Video Tutorial:
My name is Dhin. I'm delighted that you are here to join me in cooking delicious food and baking adorable pastries. Working in the kitchen became my therapy when the pandemic struck all of us. Join me on my journey, one bite at a time.