Salmon en Croûte
What to do with puff pastry? I have an idea. What about a salmon en croûte? It is french for salmon in a crust like a puff pastry. I used wild salmon with creamy wild rice and spinach filling and topped with black and white sesame seeds. Sounds fantastic!
Salmon en Croûte
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp. crème fraîche European sour cream
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 2 wild salmon fillets
- 1 lemon wedge
- fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 2-3 minced garlic cloves
- 25 x 42cm rectangular pastry sheet
- eggwash 1 egg + 1 tsp of water
- all purpose flour for flouring the surface
- black and white sesame seeds
- In a small saucepan, dissolve cream cheese with milk in medium low heat.
- Add 2 Tbsp. crème fraîche, cooked wild rice, and fresh parsley.
- In a separate pan, heat some EVOO, then add fresh spinach.
- When spinach is half-way wilted, add minced garlic. Set aside.
- Flour work surface.
- Lay out puff pastry sheet.
- Lightly brush pastry with some egg wash.
- Start layering ingredients with spinach.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on top and salt all over the pastry.
- Put salmon fillets upside down.
- Spread 2 Tbsp.crème fraîche on top of salmon fillets.
- Add wild rice as the final layer.
- Gently fold pastry sheets over.
- Seal edges with egg wash.
- Gently fold both sides.
- Seal again with some egg wash.
- Flip the whole pastry on the other side. Re-shape if necessary.
- Transfer into a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Score the top of the pastry with a sharp knife, cutting shallow diagonal lines to create a crosshatch pattern.
- Finish off with some egg wash, salt, black and white sesame seeds.
- Baket at 400 F (200 C) for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with some more fresh parsley on top.
- Serve immediately.
WATCH The Salmon en Croûte Step-By-Step Video Tutorial:
My name is Dhin. I'm delighted that you are here to join me in cooking delicious food and baking adorable pastries. Working in the kitchen became my therapy when the pandemic struck all of us. Join me on my journey, one bite at a time.