Puff Pastry Breakfast Bites
Mornings are way better with 16 delightful mini, fun size breakfast puff pastry bites with spinach, egg, and cheese. In this recipe, fresh chili peppers are added to the fluffy scrambled eggs to give you an extra kick of spice in the morning! Fresh chili peppers are totally optional if you want your morning puff pastry bites kid friendly.
This recipe also reminded me of the popular hot pockets microwaveable sandwiches ( fyi, it was ham and cheese flavor) that I used to eat when I was a young, excited, and naive teenager in the US. My family migrated to the United States from the Philippines when I was 15 years old. This was the time when I got introduced to the delicious and tasty hot pockets sandwiches and the convenience of microwave! My mom would buy a big family size box of hot pockets and those humongous variety pack of muffins regularly from Sam’s club to feed her three hungry and growing teenagers.
Fresh from the Philippines, my brothers and I worshipped these amazing big flavors and abundance of food from Sam’s club. They were simply the greatest! The waves of pure happiness came crashing every time I reach for a hot pocket inside that tall red box. Just a few minutes in the microwave, the smell of melted cheese and “fresh” flaky buttery bread would entice your whole being. The turntable stopped and I heard a “ding” sound….my hot pocket was ready! I took my first bite and the rest was history.
Now, I live in Switzerland. No trace of the convenient tasty hot pockets anywhere near me or maybe I need to look harder. It also been ages since I had my one-on-one with hot pockets. My taste and food selection grew on a different direction, less microwave, more home cooked meals, so, a little more on a sophisticated side. The idea of making homemade easy breakfast sandwiches bites with flaky buttery crust started forming in my head, went to work in the kitchen and Voila!! 16 mini egg bites didn’t stand a chance, devoured in one seating with my picky eater husband and of course moi. Serve it fresh from the oven and I guarantee you that one bite is simply not enough. So, consider doubling or even tripling the recipe!
Same waves of happiness from hot pockets showed up for my homemade puff pastry egg bites. Though, I can make my own tasty sandwiches in a more wholesome way anytime I want. I would still give in just for a quick bite of that classic, delicious, American convenient hot pockets!
Puff Pastry Breakfast Bites
- 1 thawed rectangular 42 x 26 cm Puff Pastry Sheet
- 4 Eggs
- A splash of milk
- 1 Tbsp. of Butter
- 2 Handfuls of Fresh Spinach
- 2 Fresh Chili Peppers Optional
- 1/3 cup small cubes Gruyere Cheese or any hard cheese you have
- Egg Wash = 1 Whole Egg + A little bit of water
- Crack eggs in a medium bowl. Beat well.
- Slice cheese in mini cubes.
- Remove stem and seeds of chili peppers and finely chop.
- Add splash of milk to the egg mixture. Mix.
- Melt butter on a non-stick pan on medium low heat.
- Pour in beaten eggs. After a few seconds gently push towards the center of the pan.
- Add fresh spinach.
- Add chili peppers.
- Gently mix.
- Cool and set aside.
- Flour the work surface.
- Lay out pastry sheet. Fold in half. Unfold pastry and cut in half using a pizza cutter.
- Fold half of pastry length wise 3 times. Unfold and follow the fold mark and cut 3 times.
- Refrigerate other half.
- Fold and unfold each of the already cut pastry. Follow the fold marks and cut.
- Make egg wash by cracking egg in a small bowl. Add a little bit of water about a tsp. Mix.
- Lightly brush mini pastry sheets with egg wash.
- Add cheese into cooled scrambled eggs.
- Scoop 1/2 tbsp. of egg, cheese, and spinach filling and place it on top of 8 mini pastry sheets.
- Place remaining pastry sheets on top of egg filling.
- Gently press edges with your fingers to seal.
- Use a fork to press edges to seal in filling.
- Repeat entire process with the other half of pastry sheet.
- Arrange mini egg bites on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly brush top with egg wash.
- With a sharp knife, make 2 slits on top of each pastries.
- Bake at 200 C (400 F) for 13-15 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
WATCH The Puff Pastry Breakfast Bites Step-By-Step Video Tutorial:
My name is Dhin. I'm delighted that you are here to join me in cooking delicious food and baking adorable pastries. Working in the kitchen became my therapy when the pandemic struck all of us. Join me on my journey, one bite at a time.