How to Dye Easter Eggs with Vegetables
Easter 2022: Look how pretty these Easter eggs turn out. I’m really amazed how vegetables magically transform simple white egg shells into delicate light-toned Easter eggs embellished with flower and herb designs.
Easter 2021: I remember spending the holiday in Hotel Bären in Wengen with my husband and my little Carlton then (now, >30 kg, not so little anymore..tsk…tsk..) While having breakfast, I noticed these brown colored eggs in a basket with interesting lovely patterns on a buffet table. In a flash, I picked up one and immediately drawn to it. Looking at it meticulously…how- did- they- do -that?
Easter eggs in Switzerland are the most elegant, not only from its alluring outside appearance but also how it is distinctively made with wholesome ingredients. The eggs are traditionally dyed with onion skin, decorated with fresh flowers and herbs as patterns. For this recipe, I also used red cabbage to achieve sky and dark blue colors. FYI: the dark blue was the result of my failed attempt of trying to get a pink one. I must say that it was the most beautiful mistake I’ve ever done!
As I research more on the internet, there are so many ways to color your Easter eggs naturally with vegetables. According to the picture above, beet root will give the eggshells that pink tinge that I was aiming for. Can’t wait to try this again next year!
Herb Wrapping Tips: 1. Place herb facing you on a piece of strainer cloth. 2. Place egg on top of the herb. 3. Place it on your palm. 4. Wrap it tightly. 5. Twist the top. 6. Tie with ribbon.
How to Dye Easter Eggs Naturally Using Vegetables
- strainer/cheese cloth or hosiery
- 9-12 white eggs organic
- 8 g yellow onion skin
- 300 g red cabbage thinly sliced
- fresh flowers and herbs
- 1/2 slice fresh lemon
- On a piece of cloth, place herb facing you.
- Place the cleanest part of the egg on top of the herb.
- Place it in your palm.
- Tightly wrap the cloth.
- Twist the top.
- Tie with ribbon.
- Repeat with different choice of pattern: (i.e. rosemary, thyme, small flowers, etc)
- Add onion skin or red cabbage in the pot.
- Add wrapped eggs. Cover it with some of the onion or cabbage.
- Fill up pot with water.
- Bring to boil.
- Cook eggs for another 6 minutes.
- Cool down. For dark blue, add lemon in red cabbage water.
- Refrigerate for 5 hrs - 24 hrs.
- Using scissors, cut the ribbon.
- Gently unwrap and remove the herbs.
- Wipe excess water with paper towel.
- Admire and enjoy!
- use white eggs to get the full color effect.
- use strainer/cheese cloth/hosiery
- small flowers, rosemary, and thyme are really pretty as patterns
- for dark blue color, use 1/2 slice of fresh lemon
- refrigerate for at least 24hrs for maximum color
- a vegetable color chart is available on gemframboise.com
- finally, if you're a visual person like me, watch the step-by-step video tutorial on youtube.
WATCH The How to Dye Easter Eggs Naturally with Vegetables Recipe Step-By-Step Video Tutorial:
My name is Dhin. I'm delighted that you are here to join me in cooking delicious food and baking adorable pastries. Working in the kitchen became my therapy when the pandemic struck all of us. Join me on my journey, one bite at a time.