Cinnamon Onion Chicken Fajitas
Who added cinnamon to onions for one amazing chicken fajitas? ->🙌<-
We were on vacation in Lauenen (20 minutes from Gstaad, Switzerland) when this idea came to me. We stayed in a superb Airbnb equipped with nice functional kitchen and I was like, that’s it! I’m going to cook here everyday! I love cooking even on vacation. I prefer it, that way I know that my family is still eating good quality meals. Plus, it’s a lot cheaper to make your own food especially if you’re in a place like Switzerland. (FYI: Switzerland is rated the most expensive country to visit compared to the rest of the world.)
I’m not a cheese person but it’s hard not to when you are living in a cheese country. I have to tell you that my palate for cheese has become more sophisticated than ever. Something I’d like to keep as a remembrance for living in Switzerland. For this recipe, I used two local cheeses ( you can use whatever is available in your area, just make sure you like the taste of it, or it could ruin your whole meal) 1. St. Paulin – a soft, creamy, buttery cheese. 2. Emmentaler, the quintessential “Swiss Cheese” with holes. The texture is semi-hard with neutral taste. Now, that’s a perfect duo!
Just do it. (Not a Nike Ad. (LOL))
When you have an idea brewing in your head, don’t just sit on it and forget about it. I suggest that no matter what it is, just go and do it. Make it a reality. That’s the only way to find out if it works. If it doesn’t work, at least you know, you gave it a GO.
Cinnamon Onion Chicken Fajitas
- 2 chicken breasts
- ~4-5 dashes cumin
- ~4-5 dashes chili mix
- ~4-5 dashes paprika
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- olive oil
- ~3-4 dashes cinnamon
- cheese (at least 2 types)
- leafy greens
- taco salsa
- cooked white rice
- Pre-heat oven at 350°F/ 170°C for tortillas.
- Slice chicken in strips.
- Add cumin, chili mix, paprika, and olive oil. Set aside.
- Cut onion in medium slices.
- Cut red bell pepper in strips.
- In medium heat, add oil in cooking pan.
- Add onion. Cook for a minute.
- Season with salt and cinnamon. Cook until it softens and fragrant.
- Add red bell pepper.
- Add seasoned chicken.
- Cook until chicken is white in color.
- Taste test.
- Add more spices per your liking.
- Remove from heat.
- Add grated cheese on top.
- Warm up tortillas in oven for about 5 minutes.
- Assemble starting with rice as base, followed by chicken, greens, cheese, top with salsa.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Biggest tip for this recipe: ADD CINNAMON to ONIONS!!!
- Use at least two types of cheese.
- For added appeal, use pocket-style no mess tortillas.
- Try serving as salad or on top of rice. Super delish!
- Adjust spices according to your taste. Always do a taste test along the way.
- This recipe is also good with GROUND BEEF.
- You can also make this with guacamole, fresh tomatoes, and lime.
WATCH Cinnamon Onion Chicken Fajitas Step-By-Step Video Tutorial:
My name is Dhin. I'm delighted that you are here to join me in cooking delicious food and baking adorable pastries. Working in the kitchen became my therapy when the pandemic struck all of us. Join me on my journey, one bite at a time.